You can cook Kim Chi using 11 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Kim Chi
- It's 1 of Large Head Nappa Cabbage (5 lbs or greater).
- You need 3-4 of large Carrots julienned.
- Prepare 1/2 of of a Medium Daikon radish julienned.
- You need 1/2 cup of course Kosher Salt.
- You need 2 Bunches of Green Onions, Green tops cut from White part.
- You need 15 Cloves of Garlic pealed, if they're large cloves use 7.
- Prepare of Unsweetened Apple Juice as a liquifier.
- Prepare 1 Tablespoon of Fish Sauce.
- It's 1/2 cup of Korean Chilli Powder.
- Prepare 4 Tablespoons of White Miso Paste.
- Prepare 4-6 inch of long Ginger Root peeled and chopped course.
Kim Chi instructions
- Cut the head of Nappa Cabbage into quarters and then slice it into 1 inch pieces. Julienne the carrot and Daikon. (I use the juienne blades on my mandolin).
- Add some of the salt to it. Mix and continue adding the rest of the salt as you're mixing. After mixing wait a bit until the cabbage starts to wilt..
- Add enough water to the veggies to cover. Let stand 1 and half to 2 hours or until the cabbage stalk (thickest part) begins to become softer..
- In the meantime, add the Garlic, Ginger, White Miso Paste, Fish Sauce, White parts of the Green Onions, Korean Chilli Powder and a splash of Unsweetened Apple Juice. Purée until the sauce becomes smooth. Add more juice as necessary..
- Once the cabbage is ready, strain using a large collinder. Once drained return cabbage to bowl. Add the sauce to the cabbage and mix as well as the Green Onions tops (cut into 1/2 inch pieces) Stir until completely mixed..
- Add mixture to jars but screw the lid down. You will need the lid loose to provide venting. Place jars at room temperature for 3 days, checking on them daily and poking them with a clean knife to allow the gases to escape. After 3 days enjoy and tighten lid. Keep refrigerated..