Baklava. Baklava is a sweet dessert made of layers of phyllo filled with chopped walnuts and pistachios, soaked with honey syrup. Baklava or baklawa is a rich, sweet pastry featured in many cuisines of the former Ottoman countries. It is made of layers of phyllo dough filled with chopped nuts, such as walnuts, almonds, or pistachios, and sweetened with syrup or honey.
I am a huge fan of baklava and this is the BEST baklava recipe I have ever tried. Baklava is a Mediterranean dessert with layers of phyllo dough, nuts and honey. I've also included two authentic baklava recipes for you to try: a fancy and more involved recipe as well as a simple. You can have Baklava using 10 ingredients and 15 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Baklava
- It's 1 packages of Phyllo dough (comes with 2 rolls).
- Prepare 4 cup of Pecans or Walnuts (I use pecans).
- Prepare 1 tsp of Cinnamon.
- You need 1 1/2 stick of Butter (melted).
- You need 2 cup of Honey (16oz).
- You need 1/2 cup of Water.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of Sugar.
- Prepare 3 tsp of Vanilla extract.
- It's 1 tbsp of American Honey whiskey (optional).
- Prepare 1 stick of Butter (for sauce).
This heavenly Baklava combines honey-soaked layers of flaky phyllo pastry with spiced walnuts. It's a great make-ahead dessert perfect for the holidays or special occasions. Not to be confused with balaclava or Balaklava. The iconic Baklava is astonishingly straight forward to make!
- Pre-heat oven to 350. Unroll the phyllo dough and place a moist kitchen towel over the sheets. Do NOT let the dough d.
- Generously butter your choice of baking pan. If the phyllo dough is a lot larger trim the dough with kitchen scissors. You will always be using 2 phyllo sheets at a time..
- Melt butter (1 1/2 sticks).
- Mix nuts and cinnamon in a bowl. Set aside.
- Pick up 2 phyllo sheets and place into the buttered baking dish.
- Using a basting brush, brush melted butter onto the phyllo sheets you placed in the baking dish.
- Repeat steps 5 & 6 three more times.
- Sprinkle nuts on top of the buttered phyllo. (A single layer that covers the dough).
- Pick up 2 phyllo sheets and place on top the nuts, butter, add nuts.
- Repeat until you run out of nuts (approx 4 more times).
- Now begin layering and buttering just the phyllo dough like in steps 5 & 6. Repeat 4-5x.
- Using a sharp knife, cut into squares and then into a diamond pattern. Place in the oven for 30-40 min or when the baklava is a deep golden brown..
- In a saucepan melt 1 stick of butter, water, sugar, honey, vanilla, whiskey (optional). Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low. Simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove baklava from the oven and slowly pour 1/2 the sauce over the golden baklava. Once absorbed, pour the remaining sauce..
- Allow the baklava to cool uncovered for serval hours. It tastes better with time. Note: It can get soggy if covered..
The iconic Baklava is my all time favourite pastry that I can't get enough of. You'll love how homemade Baklava is not overly sweet and. Baklava is a delicious phyllo pastry popular in Middle Eastern countries. In baklava, layers of crisp phyllo dough alternate with a sugary spiced nut mixture, and the whole thing is then soaked in fragrant. Baklava is a layered pastry with nuts and honey syrup popular in Greece, Turkey and Baklava is a dessert as old as time, to use the phrase loosely.