Roast Pork with Crispy Crackling and Apple Sauce.
You can have Roast Pork with Crispy Crackling and Apple Sauce using 8 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Roast Pork with Crispy Crackling and Apple Sauce
- Prepare 1 of rolled shoulder pork joint, about 1 and a half kg in weight.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of coriander seeds.
- You need 2 tbsp of fennel seeds.
- It's of Olive oil.
- It's to taste of salt and black pepper.
- It's 3 of large apples.
- It's 1 knob of butter.
- You need of Squeeze of lemon juice.
Roast Pork with Crispy Crackling and Apple Sauce step by step
- The rind on the pork needs to be dry, so if you've bought the joint in plastic wrap you need to take this off as soon as you get home, dry with kitchen paper and leave uncovered overnight if you're cooking it the next day. Calculate the cooking time: 35 minutes for every 500g plus an additional 35 minutes. Work backwards, and 30 minutes before you need to start cooking, score the rind with a very sharp knife if your butcher hasn't already done so, the slashes need to be quite close together..
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/Gas 7. Put the coriander and fennel seeds in a mortar or small bowl and crush lightly, add about 2 tbsp olive oil, lots of black pepper and some salt flakes..
- Rub the spice mixture into the meat, pushing the seeds into the slits and including the sides and the bottom of the joint. Sprinkle over some fine salt - this helps the skin to crisp so make sure you cover evenly..
- Place in the hot oven for 15 minutes, then turn the temperature down to 170°C/Gas 3 and add a glass of white wine or dry vermouth to the base of the roasting pan. Roast for the rest of the cooking time until the crackling is crisp, don't baste it. If you're making dauphinoise potatoes they will cook in the same oven for about the same amount of time..
- While the meat is cooking make the apple sauce. Peel and slice the apples and place in a pan with 2 tbsp water, a squeeze of lemon juice and a knob of butter. If you're using cooking apples you'll need to add sugar to taste, but eating apples are sweet enough. Cover then pan and place on the lowest heat so the apples release their liquid and poach slowly, if you cook them too quickly they'll burn..
- When the apples are very soft, it depends on the type how long this takes, mine took about 25 minutes, beat with a wooden spoon or mush with a stick blender. Transfer to a small bowl and cover..
- When the meat is cooked remove it from the oven and leave to rest for 30 minutes. Transfer the meat juices to a small pan, add a little more white wine and bring to the boil. Slice the pork, place on a hot serving plate and drizzle the meat juices over, then serve with the apple sauce, dauphinoise potatoes and red cabbage..