Shepherd's Pie. Explore this collection of our best dinner recipes for main dishes, sides and salads. Fast Ideas Our Ideas for Quick & Easy are wholesome, Almost Entirely Homemade. Yes, shepherd's pie is predominantly thought of as Irish or British.
Place in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water. Set over high heat, cover and bring to a boil. You'll love the convenience of this easy, comforting shepherd's pie from Martha Stewart. You can have Shepherd's Pie using 17 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Shepherd's Pie
- It's 6 of red Potatoes.
- You need of Cheddar cheese.
- You need 300 gram of Minced beef.
- Prepare 1 of small onion - chopped.
- Prepare 3 cloves of garlic - chopped.
- You need of Fresh rosemary.
- You need of Fresh thyme.
- It's 150 ml of fresh milk.
- Prepare 1 of carrot - chopped.
- You need To taste of butter.
- You need To taste of salt.
- Prepare To taste of pepper.
- You need 2 tablespoon of flour.
- It's of Olive oil.
- You need 1 of Egg yolk.
- You need 2 tablespoon of tomato paste.
- It's as needed of Beef broth.
Unlike other shepherd's pie recipes, this one calls for frozen vegetables instead of fresh and can be made the day before. Shepherd's Pie comes to us from England, and is traditionally made with lamb or mutton. Here in the states we are more of a beef eating culture than a lamb eating one, and when one is served "shepherd's pie" here, it is most often made with ground beef. Traditionally, shepherd's pie is made with lamb (hence the name).
Shepherd's Pie step by step
- Bring a pot of salted water to boil then put potato in to the boiling water and cook until tender. Peel the skin, mash and mix with cheddar cheese, yolk,butter, milk and salt pepper. Set aside.
- In a pan heat olive oil and fry chopped onion then add chopped garlic and fry until fragrant, add carrot and cook about 3 minutes.
- Add minced beef,rosemary, thyme, flour, salt,pepper, and fry untill beef golden brown..
- Add beef brot and tomato paste, bring to boil and reduce heat then simmer for 5 minutes.
- In a baking dish spread beef, layer with mashed potato and flatten well.
- Bake in the oven in 200 c for 20 minutes or untill golden brown..
- And this is it,, have done and ready to serve.
However, as the dish gained wider popularity outside of its native English homeland (where using beef would make this a cottage pie), beef became a common substitute, especially in America where it's more widely available than ground lamb. These shepherd's pie recipes run the range from the traditional (featuring ground or minced lamb) to the modestly modified (ground beef instead of lamb) to the more modern and experimental (vegan or paleo shepherd's pies). You can't go wrong with any of these savory one-pot comfort-food casseroles, complete meals that also feature veggies, a savory gravy, and a mashed potato (or a surprise. Shepherd's pie is traditionally made with a ground-lamb filling, but we make ours with ground beef. The sauce is really simple and flavorful, but the best part is the insanely fluffy mashed potato.