Healthy Jambalaya. Add Meat, Seafood, Or Veggies To Zatarain's® Original Jambalaya Mix for A One-Pot Dish. With sausage and shrimp, this paleo Creole recipe is even keto friendly, thanks to cauliflower rice! Surprisingly easy, too, and it comes together in a little less than an hour.
This healthy jambalaya recipe isn't missing a thing with plump shrimp, spicy sausage, and Cajun seasonings. It easily lends itself to a healthy meal that is still low calorie. Luckily, the traditional ingredients used in jambalaya are pretty easy to accommodate in a healthy diet. You can have Healthy Jambalaya using 12 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Healthy Jambalaya
- You need 3 cups of brown rice I use Brown Basamati from Aldi.
- You need 2 packs of Beef Sausage cut into rounds.
- It's 1 of whole onion.
- It's of I finely chopped green belle pepper.
- Prepare 2 (4 cups) of cans of crushed tomato sauce.
- You need 6 cups of water.
- Prepare of onion powder.
- Prepare of Louisiana seasoning.
- It's of salt.
- You need of pepper.
- Prepare of lawrys garlic powder and parsley seasoning.
- You need of oregano.
To Freeze: Prepare recipe as directed. Healthy Jambalaya will intoxicate your senses with the wonderful spices. Not to mention the healthy farro and succulent shrimp. Especially during the cold months, I love cooking jambalaya, a classic Louisiana Creole dish made with rice and spices.
Healthy Jambalaya step by step
- Chop onions, belle pepper, and sausage.
- In a pot add water, crushed tomato sauce, and rice. Now this is just me I add my seasonings then but I know I'm going to taste toward the end and add more based on taste.
- Add chopped onion belle pepper and sausage.
- Really simple boil all ingredients for about 2 1/2 hours but this is also just me..brown rice has to cook awhile so I medium cook the first hour slow cook the rest of the time. checking and stirring as I go..
- Once that brown rice rises to the top the first time turn on mid low probably last 30 mins.
- After that and you stir and taste and rice is tender it's seasoned we'll to taste turn pot off but let sit for 45 mins with lid on and left over heat the rice will plump more and thicken the jambalaya.
- You can do corn fritters to go with it or corn bread.
In a large, deep skillet, heat the oil until shimmering. I love that this Healthy Cajun Jambalaya is packed with different kinds of meat (chicken, ham, and shrimp), the trinity of vegetables (onions, bell peppers, and celery), and a slew of spices that give this jambalaya incredible Cajun flavor and a good kick of heat. The heat in this jambalaya isn't like Mexican food where there is a spicy burn. This was very similar to my usual recipe I use for jambalaya. I have never used file powder and every batch turns out great.