Jambalaya. Add Meat, Seafood, Or Veggies To Zatarain's® Original Jambalaya Mix for A One-Pot Dish. Season the sausage and chicken pieces with Cajun seasoning. According to the dictionary, jambalaya is "rice cooked usually with ham, sausage, chicken, shrimp, or oysters and seasoned with herbs." In talking with lovers of authentic Creole food, this statement is as close as you will get to having people agree on what jambalaya really is.
Jambalaya (/ ˌ dʒ æ m b ə ˈ l aɪ. ə / JAM-bə-LY-ə, / ˌ dʒ ʌ m-/ JUM-) is a popular dish of West African, French (especially Provençal cuisine), and Spanish influence, consisting mainly of meat and vegetables mixed with rice. Traditionally, the meat always includes sausage of some sort, often a smoked meat such as andouille, along with pork or chicken and seafood (less common. Jambalaya is such a culinary staple and storied dish in New Orleans the word is used to describe so much more than food. "What a crazy jambalaya of music at this festival." The dish has represented New Orleans since Colonial Spanish settlers tried reconstructing their native paella from locally-sourced ingredients. You can cook Jambalaya using 22 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Jambalaya
- It's 4 cups of Rice.
- Prepare of I kilo of chicken breast cooked, fried and diced.
- You need 4 of sausages grilled and diced.
- It's 1 of kilo fresh shrimps cooked.
- It's 4 of big tomatoes dices.
- You need of I big red pepper diced.
- It's of I big red pepper diced.
- Prepare of I yellow pepper diced.
- Prepare 5 of rodo pepper chopped.
- You need of I big onion chopped.
- You need 4 of gloves garlic chopped.
- You need 2 of hand full of peas.
- It's of Spring onions chopped.
- Prepare 5-6 cups of flavorful chicken stock.
- Prepare of Carrots chopped.
- It's of Cabbage chopped (optional).
- You need of Fresh rosemary.
- Prepare of Thyme.
- Prepare of Curry.
- It's cube of Stock.
- It's 2 of cooking spoonful of vegetable oil.
- You need of Salt.
Jambalaya Ingredients: Alright, let's talk ingredients. To make classic jambalaya, you will need: The Cajun/Creole "holy trinity": Celery, onion and green bell pepper (although for some extra color, I've also used red and yellow bell peppers). Feel free to add more or less of either, depending on your heat preferences. Using an ice cream scoop, place a scoop of rice on to the center of the bowlfuls of jambalaya.
Jambalaya step by step
- Wash the rice and cook in a pot containing the chicken stock with the green peas..
- Next put a non stick pan on the fire, add the oil... Then add chopped onice, garlic and tomatoes. Once it simmers, add in the chicken... Add the fresh dieced peppers and carrots, herbs and other spices... Stir again. Pour content into the pot of boiling rice... Cover and allow to cook...
- Add sausages. And shrimps into the pot... Add cabbage on top... Check if the rice is soft.... Give it a good stir... And Viola your jambala rice is ready. I added the cabbage lastly cos the hotness from the rice will make it OK..
Sprinkle dishes with salt, pepper, chopped scallions, and thyme. This quintessential dish from New Orleans is a spicy one-pot rice dish featuring chicken, andouille sausage, shrimp, and a whole host of Southern flavors. Stir in the celery, green peppers, onion, garlic, seasonings and pepper sauce. Jambalaya is a wildly popular dish that originated in New Orleans and was inspired by flavors around the world—Spanish, West African, and French to name a few. From her home in Topeka, Kansas, subscriber Betty May shares her recipe for quick-to-cook jambalaya. "Unlike some versions, this one doesn't have to simmer for hours," she notes. "Folks who like their food a bit spicy are sure to enjoy it.