Fall River Chow Mein Sandwich. Chow Mein Sandwich is an regional and popular sandwich in the New England region, specifically the Fall River, Massachusetts area. Cook ground beef, chicken, or shrimp. To many Fall River natives, the Chow Mein Sandwich is associated with their youth.
According to anthropology professor Imogene Lim, the sandwich originated from earlier waves of Chinese immigration to Fall River. Fry the strips of egg roll wrappers. For most of us, it is knife-and-fork fare. You can have Fall River Chow Mein Sandwich using 6 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Fall River Chow Mein Sandwich
- You need 2 cans of bean sprouts.
- Prepare of brown gravy powder mix.
- Prepare 2 sticks of celery.
- It's 2 of chopped onions.
- It's as needed of Corn Starch.
- You need 1.5 lbs of ground beef.
But Mee Sum waitress Sue told us that she has veteran chow mein sandwich eaters who get theirs wrapped and eat the whole thing. It's been popularized by Fall River-native Emeril Lagasse with a recipe that involved acquiring a deep fryer and bean sprouts, two things that most folks in the area don't have lying around. I'd never heard of a chow mein sandwich until we opened up for nominations for weird foods that New Englanders eat. The crispy, gravy-laden Chow Mein sandwich is a coveted comfort food in several New England towns.
Fall River Chow Mein Sandwich instructions
- Cook ground beef, chicken, or shrimp.
- Boil Onions in 64 ounces of water, take a bowl and put 32 ounces of water and add brown gravy mix, add slow for thickness, mix gravy and then pour in pan with onions.
- Add beef, shrimp, chicken. Warm and stir, add bean sprouts at the end to avoid them from getting soggy.
- Pour heated gravy over dry chow mein noodles.
- Eat Up!.
The hybrid sandwich's presence is so entrenched in the community that it appears on school lunch menus, and when a fire threatened the production of the sandwich's special. To many Fall River natives, the Chow Mein Sandwich is associated with their youth. Order all menu items online from New Garden - Fall River for delivery and takeout. The best Chinese in Fall River, MA. English: This file contains a picture of a Chow Mein Sanwich from the original inventor of the sandwich.