Moussaka. Here is a great recipe for moussaka, a Greek dish. It includes sliced eggplant baked in a ground beef sauce and then smothered in a thin white sauce. The wonderful Akis Petretzikis has a fantastic moussaka recipe using baked vegetables instead of fried to make it that little bit lighter.
Moussaka is to the Eastern Mediterranean what lasagna is to Italy: A very rich, special casserole that is perfect for The best way to make moussaka is in steps. Start with the meat sauce, and while that is. Indulge in a Greek-style moussaka, made with aubergines and lamb, packed with herbs and topped with two types of cheese. You can cook Moussaka using 19 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Moussaka
- You need 1 kg of eggplants.
- It's 1 kg of potatoes.
- Prepare 125 g of kefalotyri cheese, grated (you can substitute it with Pecorino Romano or Parmezan).
- You need of salt, pepper, sugar.
- You need 1/2 bunch of parsley, finely chopped.
- Prepare of Meat filling.
- Prepare 1 kg of ground beef.
- You need 350 g of chopped peeled tomatoes.
- It's 1-2 tbsp of tomato paste.
- You need 125 ml of white wine (retsina if available).
- Prepare 2 of onions, finely chopped.
- It's 75 ml of olive oil.
- Prepare 1 of beef stock cube.
- Prepare 4 of egg whites.
- Prepare 1 pinch of each cayenne pepper, black pepper, salt.
- Prepare 2-4 cloves of garlic.
- It's of herbs1 tbsp parsley, 1 tbsp mint, all chopped finely.
- You need of spices2 pinches oregano, 1 pinch each of ground cloves, ground cinnamon, ground coriander, and 1/2 of a bay leaf..
- Prepare 4 cups of bechamel sauce (with the 4 egg yolks).
Greek Moussaka recipe - A delicious taste of Greece. To prepare a traditional Greek Moussaka recipe, luscious layers of juicy beef mince (or lamb) are cooked in a tomato based sauce, layered with. An authentic, delicious recipe for Eggplant Moussaka- perfect for entertaining or serving at a special gathering. Moussaka by Greek chef Akis Petretzikis!
Moussaka step by step
- Slice the eggplants into long slices, approximately 1 cm thick. Salt them, and let them stand for 30 minutes. Wash the salt off, strain them and pat them very dry with kitchen paper..
- Slice the potatoes into 1 cm thick slices and fry them as well as the eggplants, in plenty of hot oil. Let them strain on absorbent paper..
- Prepare the meat filling. In a saucepan, bring the oil to heat and lightly sauté the onion and the ground beef, until the ground beef is no longer pink. Add the wine and the stock cube. Add the spices, a little water and let the meat simmer for 45 minutes..
- Then add the tomatoes, tomato paste, garlic, herbs, and the salt. Allow to simmer until the sauce has thickened..
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool a little. Stir in the egg whites..
- Prepare the bechamel sauce. Take care to only add the egg yolks once the sauce has cooled a little..
- In an ovenproof dish, layer first the potato slices, season with salt and pepper, sprinkle with half the chopped parsley, a little sugar, and 1/3 of the grated cheese. Next layer the meat filling, and finish off with a layer of the eggplant slices, which we season as the potatoes. Spread the bechamel sauce over, sprinkle with the remaining grated cheese, and bake at 180 degrees for approximately 1 hour..
Are you ready to try one of the most amazingly delicious Authentic Greek Moussaka. It is usually followed when someone is allergic to nuts. This moussaka is mostly authentic with a couple of twists for added flavor. Many very traditional versions of moussaka use a layer of potatoes. Most modern versions do not which is a shame.