Shepherd's Pie. .with the kind of refrigeration we had in our homes, cooked meat could be kept much more safely than raw. Therefore, when housewives bought their Sunday meat they selected pieces large enough to. Shepherd's Pie comes to us from England, and is traditionally made with lamb or mutton.
Expect the best shepherd's pie in Singapore. Premium ground beef, fresh local greens and hand-whipped mashed potatoes. Savour a spoonful of goodness everytime. You can cook Shepherd's Pie using 20 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Shepherd's Pie
- You need 1.5 lbs of russet potatoes, peeled and cubed.
- You need 1/4 cup of half & half.
- It's 2 tablespoons of butter.
- It's 1 teaspoon of kosher salt.
- Prepare 1/4 teaspoon of cracked pepper.
- Prepare 1 of egg yolk.
- It's 2 tablespoons of canola oil.
- It's 1 of small onion, diced (about one cup).
- You need 2-3 of carrots, peeled, diced (1 cup).
- You need 2 of large cloves garlic, minced.
- You need 1 1/2 lbs of ground lamb (traditional) or ground beef.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of kosher salt.
- Prepare 1/2 teaspoon of cracked pepper.
- It's 3 tablespoons of flour.
- It's 2 tablespoons of tomato paste.
- It's 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce.
- It's 1 1/2 cup of beef broth.
- It's 1 tablespoon of ea. Chopped fresh rosemary and thyme leaves.
- You need of Kernels cut from 2 ears corn (1 cup).
- You need 1 cup of frozen peas.
Shepherd's Pie is the sort of food that brings a smile to everyone's face! That saucy, deeply flavourful filling, that creamy potato topping, and that awesome golden cheese crust.… While Shepherd's Pie is. This family friendly shepherd's pie uses ground beef (instead of the traditional lamb), and your Instant Pot® or multi-cooker pressure cooker to prepare the filling and potatoes. This easy Shepherd's Pie recipe is filled with lots of veggies and tender ground beef (or lamb), simmered together in the most delicious sauce, and topped with the creamiest mashed potatoes.
Shepherd's Pie step by step
- Peel the potatoes and cut into 1/2-inch dice. Place in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water. Set over high heat, cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, uncover, decrease the heat to maintain a simmer and cook until tender and easily crushed with tongs, approximately 10 to 15 minutes..
- Place the half-and-half and butter into a microwave-safe container and heat in the microwave until warmed through, about 35 seconds. Drain the potatoes in a colander and then return to the saucepan. Mash the potatoes and then add the half and half, butter, salt and pepper and continue to mash until smooth. Stir in the yolk until well combined. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F..
- While the potatoes are cooking, prepare the filling. Place the canola oil into a 12-inch saute pan and set over medium high heat. Once the oil shimmers, add the onion and carrots and saute just until they begin to take on color, approximately 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic and stir to combine. Add the lamb, salt and pepper and cook until browned and cooked through, approximately 3 minutes. Sprinkle the meat with the flour and toss to coat, continuing to cook for another minute..
- Add the tomato paste, beef broth, Worcestershire, rosemary, thyme, and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer slowly 10 to 12 minutes or until the sauce is thickened slightly. Add the corn and peas to the lamb mixture and spread evenly into an 11 by 7-inch glass baking dish. Top with the mashed potatoes, starting around the edges to create a seal to prevent the mixture from bubbling up and smooth with a rubber spatula..
- Place on a cookie sheet on the middle rack of the oven and bake for 25 minutes or just until the potatoes begin to brown. Remove to a cooling rack for at least 15 minutes before serving..
Shepherd's pie is a classic comfort food recipe that's healthy, hearty and filling. The bottom layer is a simple a mix of ground lamb and vegetables, simmered into a delicious savory sauce. Plunge your spoon into a shepherd's pie with creamy mash and flavourful lamb mince. We've got traditional recipes, plus spiced and vegetarian alternatives. Try the classic shepherd's pie recipe or mix it up with a veggie shepherd's pie with lentils, or add parsnips to your mash like Nigel Slater.