Vegetable Chow mein. Easy Vegetable Chow Mein is a Chinese stir-fried noodle dish and a common Asian Takeout meal. The homemade chow mein with fresh veggies and crispy noodles is a very popular and flavorful meal. Vegetable Chow Mein. © Todd Porter & Diane Cu.
Vegetable Chow Mein--really any authentic Cantonese chow mein recipe--uses Hong Kong-style noodles, which are very thin and pan-fried until crispy. Vegetable chow mein is here to deliver on all of that. We all need recipes that we can call on on the days that the kids are screaming at you from the bath, everyone wants to know what's for dinner. You can have Vegetable Chow mein using 11 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Vegetable Chow mein
- You need 16 ounces of ready-to-eat chow mein noodles.
- It's 2 tablespoons of olive oil, divided.
- It's 5 ounces of green beans (about 2 cups), snapped into 2-inch pieces.
- It's 4 of large cloves garlic, minced.
- It's 1 1/2 tablespoons of minced ginger.
- You need 2 stalks of scallions, sliced.
- It's 1/2 tsp of Salt.
- You need 2 cups of roughly chopped tomatoes.
- You need 1 1/4 teaspoon of ground cumin.
- It's 3/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes.
- You need 1 1/2 tablespoons of soy sauce.
Vegetable Chow Mein - this Chinese vegetarian recipe features noodles stir-fried to perfection with vegetables. Vegetable Chowmein Today's recipe is everyone' favorite and too easy to prepare. But given a choice of this Vegetarian Chow Mein or a chicken chow mein, I would. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Vegetable Chow mein instructions
- Often times, packaged cooked noodles are vacuum sealed, so the noodles are compressed into solid bricks. To break the noodles apart, remove the noodles from packaging and microwave them for about 1 minute 30 seconds on high. When the noodles are cool enough to handle, use your fingers to break the noodles apart..
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the green beans and cook them for about 1 minute. Add a few tablespoons of water to the pan to keep green beans from burning. Continue cooking the beans for about 4 to 5 more minutes, until they turn bright green..
- Add more water to the pan if it is looking dry. Season the green beans with a small pinch of salt and transfer the beans to a plate..
- Wipe down the pan and heat the remaining olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, ginger, and scallions and cook them for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, salt, cumin, and the red pepper flakes (if using). Cook the tomatoes for about 5 minutes, until they start to break down..
- Add the noodles, cooked green beans, and soy sauce to the pan. Toss everything together so that the noodles are covered in the soy sauce and tomato mixture. Cook the noodles for a few minutes until they are heated through. Taste and season the noodles with more salt or soy sauce, if necessary..
- Transfer the noodles to a large bowl or plate. Garnish with sesame seeds and basil leaves, if you like. Serve the noodles. Enjoy.
Transfer the chow mein to a large bowl and garnish with the green onions before serving. Homemade vegetable chow mein that's better than takeout and almost as easy! This easy Chinese Chow Mein recipe is made with noodles, vegetables, chicken, and a simple chow mein sauce. It's better than Panda Express, and healthy too! Vegetables that add a crispy texture: bamboo shoots, bean sprouts, baby corn, baby bok choy (or Introducing the best noodle sauce to make this scrumptious and authentic Vegetarian Chow Mein.