Katsu Curry Rice (カツカーレライス). Katsu Curry is one of very popular dish in Japan. In this recipe, I'm using pork. Alternatively you can use chicken instead of the pork.
To simplify and shorten the cooking process, here. Katsu curry is just a variation of Japanese curry with a chicken cutlet on top. I have used a store-bought block of Japanese curry roux which is commonly used in It is not an exaggeration to say that Japanese curry rice (カレーライス, pronounce it as 'karē raisu') is the national home cooking dish. You can cook Katsu Curry Rice (カツカーレライス) using 19 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Katsu Curry Rice (カツカーレライス)
- It's of Roux.
- Prepare 3 tbsp of butter or vegetable shortening.
- It's 4 tbsp of flour.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of curry powder.
- It's 1 tbsp of garam masala.
- It's of Curry.
- You need 1 of onion, sliced thin.
- You need 2 cloves of garlic.
- Prepare 1 of thumb ginger, sliced thin.
- It's 1 tbsp of curry powder.
- It's 2 tbsp of ketchup.
- You need 4 cups of chicken broth.
- It's 1 of carrot, cubed.
- Prepare 1 of medium potato, cubed.
- It's 2 of bay leaves.
- Prepare 1 of cinnamon stick.
- You need 1/4 tsp of whole cloves.
- Prepare 1/4 of apple, grated.
- It's 4 pcs of tonkatsu (breaded pork or chicken cutlets) fried.
Coco's Curry chain in Kumamoto City, Kumamoto. カツカレー Katsu Curry Rice. Fried breaded pork steak with egg over rice. People might be surprised to find curry in Japanese restaurants, but the fact is karē raisu (カレーライス), or Japanese curry rice, is so Other curry rice variations are similarly popular: top it with tonkatsu (breaded pork cutlet), and you have a delicious katsu-kare. Make chicken katsu curry from scratch with japancentre.com's katsu curry recipe.
Katsu Curry Rice (カツカーレライス) instructions
- Melt butter/shortening in a pan on low heat. Mix flour until well blended. Rise heat to medium low and mix until flour browns a little. Be careful not to burn it!.
- Add curry powder and garam masala, mixing well. Transfer to a bowl. If not using immediately can be stored for up to a month refrigerated..
- With 2 tbsp oil, sauté the onions under low heat. Let the onions caramelise, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes..
- Rise heat to medium low and add garlic, ginger, ketchup, and curry powder. Stir well..
- Add potatoes, carrots, and broth. Bring heat up to medium. Add cloves, cinnamon stick, and bay leaves. Let boil, and then bring heat back down to low, and simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender..
- Add curry roux made in steps 1–2. Stir well and bring heat up to medium. Let boil, and then lower heat to low, and stir until it thickens, about 5 minutes..
- Add grated apple and stir well..
- Fry tonkatsu pieces and chop. Arrange on a plate with rice and pour curry on top. Serve hot..
A hearty, mildly spicy main meal best served with rice. Tonkatsu Kari (Japanese). pork, curry, rice. Katsu Donburi Tonkatsu Don (Japanese) Donburi (Rice bowl dish) with katsu (Crispy Deep Fried Breaded Pork) served with other ingredients like egg, onions, scallions, pickled … English: Japanese Curry. 日本語: 日本のカレー. One of my family's favorite meals is Japanese-style curry rice with chicken, onions, carrots and potatoes. Chicken katsu is a traditional Japanese dish that is sure to please.