Easy Borscht/Goulash-Inspired Leftover Roast & Red Cabbage Soup. I added dill for authentic flavor an used precooked roast to me it in an hour. A hearty borscht that makes a great meal. And the leftovers are even better the next day.
Goulash is one of those comfort food recipes that the whole family will love. In this easy Hungarian Goulash recipe, tender chunks of beef, onions, and bell peppers are simmered to perfection in a delicious savory tomato beef broth. The whole family devoured their plates and went for seconds! You can have Easy Borscht/Goulash-Inspired Leftover Roast & Red Cabbage Soup using 15 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Easy Borscht/Goulash-Inspired Leftover Roast & Red Cabbage Soup
- It's 3 cups of beef roast or steak that's been cut into 1/2" cubes.
- It's 1/2 of an onion, chopped.
- Prepare 2 of medium carrots, cut into 1/2" cubes.
- Prepare 2 of small celery stems, chopped into 1/2" pieces.
- It's 1/2 of a small head of red cabbage, cut into 1/2" pieces.
- It's 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed.
- You need 8 cups of liquid (any combo of unsalted stock & water).
- Prepare 3 Tablespoons of tomato paste.
- It's 2 Tablespoons of ketchup.
- You need 1 Tablespoon of Worcestershire.
- Prepare 2 teaspoons of salt to start.
- It's 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper.
- You need 1 of bay leaf.
- You need 1 teaspoon of paprika.
- You need 2 cups of quartered button mushrooms.
Before I get too far ahead of myself I should probably note that this is not a traditional. My Easy Hungarian Beef Goulash is one such recipe. It's truly one of those 'greater than the sum of its parts' recipes. But it's also great with crusty.
Easy Borscht/Goulash-Inspired Leftover Roast & Red Cabbage Soup step by step
- Dump all ingredients except mushrooms into a large pot (at least 5 quarts), cover, turn the heat to medium high, and let soup come to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes..
- Reduce heat to medium low, add mushrooms, cover, and simmer for another 30 to 40 minutes, or until thickest pieces of cabbage are completely tender..
- Adjust seasoning if needed, and enjoy with crusty bread or rice, or just by itself! :).
Borscht recipe for hearty and flavorful Russian soup that gets it's gorgeous color from fresh roasted Roasting the beets is simple. I scrubbed the beets, drizzled olive oil over the tops and seasoned Remove from the oven and let the beets cool so they're easier to handle. Borscht (English: /ˈbɔːrʃ, ˈbɔːrʃt/ (listen)) is a sour soup common in Eastern Europe and Northern Asia. In English, the word "borscht" is most often associated with the soup's variant of Ukrainian origin. There are dozens of variations on borscht, the Eastern European beet soup.