Baklava. Baklava is a sweet dessert made of layers of phyllo filled with chopped walnuts and pistachios, soaked with honey syrup. Baklava or baklawa is a rich, sweet pastry featured in many cuisines of the former Ottoman countries. It is made of layers of phyllo dough filled with chopped nuts, such as walnuts, almonds, or pistachios, and sweetened with syrup or honey.
I am a huge fan of baklava and this is the BEST baklava recipe I have ever tried. Baklava is a Mediterranean dessert with layers of phyllo dough, nuts and honey. I've also included two authentic baklava recipes for you to try: a fancy and more involved recipe as well as a simple. You can cook Baklava using 8 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Baklava
- Prepare 1 packet of Phyllo Filo dough / -.
- Prepare of Nuts (Almonds or Walnuts or both) - Blanched and chopped.
- You need 1 cup of Butter melted.
- You need 1 tsp of Cinnamon Powder -.
- Prepare 1 cup of Water.
- You need 2 cups of Sugar nuts boiling , (go with white) (1 for 1).
- It's 1/2 cup of Honey.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of Lemon Juice.
This heavenly Baklava combines honey-soaked layers of flaky phyllo pastry with spiced walnuts. It's a great make-ahead dessert perfect for the holidays or special occasions. Not to be confused with balaclava or Balaklava. The iconic Baklava is astonishingly straight forward to make!
Baklava step by step
- I began by getting the syrup ready because it takes 20-30mins and it needs to be ready by the time the baking is done. Boil sugar, honey, lemon juice and water. Bring this to a boil and leave it to simmer for about 20mins.
- Blanch and chop your nuts. I tried going manual with a knife - but I dumped all of the nuts and give it a blitz and it was ready in 30 seconds. In a bowl mix the nuts with some sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Get your greased baking pan and unroll the phyllo/filo dough. If its frozen, defrost it well because you don't want it to break on you since its delicate. If you tear, don't shed a tear though because with all the layering, no one will notice the tear :) Alright time to start layering - so begin by placing 2 sheets and butter well. Repeat this until you have 8 sheets layered. Sprinkle the nut mixture, top with 2 sheets of dough, butter again, and add the nuts. Continue to do this: Nuts, 2 dou....
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350F (175C) until golden brown. Once done, immediately pour the sauce over it and slice the baklava into squares or diamonds. You can also choose to cut this before you stick it in the oven.
- Let this cool and serve with some strong coffee or tea :).
The iconic Baklava is my all time favourite pastry that I can't get enough of. You'll love how homemade Baklava is not overly sweet and. Baklava is a delicious phyllo pastry popular in Middle Eastern countries. In baklava, layers of crisp phyllo dough alternate with a sugary spiced nut mixture, and the whole thing is then soaked in fragrant. Baklava is a layered pastry with nuts and honey syrup popular in Greece, Turkey and Baklava is a dessert as old as time, to use the phrase loosely.