You can have Imperial Rice using 16 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Imperial Rice
- It's 6 of chicken thighs.
- It's 1 large of onion, diced. Half will be used in slow cooker and half will be used later in final preparations..
- You need 6 clove of garlic, minced. Half will be used in slow cooker, the rest in the final preparations..
- It's 1 of Water.
- Prepare 10 oz of saffron rice mix.
- You need 3 tbsp of mayonnaise (optional).
- Prepare 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of green bell pepper, diced.
- It's 1 dash of salt.
- It's 1 tsp of pepper.
- You need 1 tsp of dried oregano.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of lime juice.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of cooking wine.
- It's 4 oz of can tomato paste.
- Prepare 8 oz of mozzarella cheese.
- You need 1 of optional garnishes: parsley, pimento slices or olives.
Imperial Rice step by step
- Imperial rice, or arroz imperial is a staple in the Cuban American community. It is frequently served at South Florida parties and other events. This recipe is for a small portion to serve at home, but can be scaled up to serve larger groups..
- In a slow cooker, add 1/2 diced onion, 3 minced garlic cloves, and the chicken thighs. Add water to cover the ingredients. Cook on low heat for 8 hours or until chicken is tender..
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred with fork. Discard bones, retain the broth. Set aside..
- Prepare saffron rice according to package instructions, substituting the broth from the slow cooker for the water, using the specified amount. Alternatively, you can prepare saffron rice from scratch, but using the packaged mix saves time..
- Optional: Many people will add mayonnaise to the cooked rice before putting it into the casserole dish. I don't, but I am including this step for those who are so inclined..
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large skillet, add olive oil and turn on low heat. Add green pepper and onion. When onions start to become translucent, add salt, pepper, oregano and garlic. Saute for 2-3 minutes, then add shredded chicken and lime juice. Saute 2-3 minutes more..
- Add cooking wine and tomato paste. Blend with other ingredients. Raise heat and cook until liquids reduce. Remove from heat..
- In a casserole dish, add cooked rice. Layer the chicken over the rice. Top with mozzarella cheese..
- Bake for 30 minutes or until cheese is melted and beginning to brown..
- Garnish and serve. I prefer parsley, but pimento slices or stuffed olives are more commonly used..