Red velvet cake. This Red Velvet cake was definitely not what I expected. It could be that I have no experience with Red Velvet cake but with this recipe the cake was much to heavy. The Icing was bland and honestly tasted like flour.
Nowadays most cocoa powders are alkalized, as in stripped of acid. Look for a non-alkalized one for this old-fashioned recipe. Completing the classic look is a coat of bright white ermine frosting, cooked the old-fashioned way. You can have Red velvet cake using 11 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Red velvet cake
- It's 1 1/2 cups of white sugar.
- Prepare 2 of eggs.
- It's 2 tablespoons of cocoa.
- It's 4 tablespoons of red food coloring.
- It's 1 teaspoon of salt.
- It's 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- It's 1 cup of buttermilk.
- You need 2 1/2 cups of sifted all-purpose flour.
- Prepare 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking soda.
- It's 1 tablespoon of distilled white vinegar.
- You need of Icing: 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour, 1 cup milk 1 cup white sugar 1 cup butter, room temperature 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder. This is the recipe to make red velvet cake, i have to say after so many years of baking this is a r star rating. Red Velvet Cake Recipes Don't wait to indulge in a slice of red velvet cake, a homey classic treat that calls to mind Mom's best baking. Try one of these, our most popular red velvet cake recipes.
Red velvet cake step by step
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease two 9-inch round pans..
- Beat shortening and 1 1/2 cups sugar until very light and fluffy. Add eggs and beat well..
- Make a paste of cocoa and red food coloring; add to creamed mixture. Mix salt, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and buttermilk together. Add the flour to the batter, alternating with the buttermilk mixture, mixing just until incorporated. Mix soda and vinegar and gently fold into cake batter. Don't beat or stir the batter after this point..
- Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake in preheated oven until a tester inserted into the cake comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Cool cakes completely on wire rack..
- To Make Icing: Cook 5 tablespoons flour and milk over low heat till thick, stirring constantly. Let cool completely! While mixture is cooling, beat 1 cup sugar, butter, and 1 teaspoon vanilla until light and fluffy. Add cooled flour mixture and beat until frosting is a good spreading consistency. Frost cake layers when completely cool.
The "red" makes sense, but what about the "velvet" in this cake's iconic name? Food historians says it was a common description during the Victorian era, when the term described cakes that had an especially soft and "velvety" crumb. From the color to the crumb, this homemade red velvet cake is a dessert classic. A moist, classic Red Velvet Cake!! Made from scratch, and surprisingly easy when a few simple steps are followed - watch how to make it in the recipe video.