German Chocolate Cake. Hand frosted with coconut-filled icing, and topped with smooth chocolate ganache drizzle. This German chocolate cake recipe is one of Betty Crocker's most popular desserts, and for good reason. The step-by-step instructions clearly walk you through the process you need to create a homemade masterpiece.
Grease waxed paper and set aside. In small saucepan, melt chocolate with water over low heat; cool. Whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in a small bowl; set aside. You can have German Chocolate Cake using 19 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of German Chocolate Cake
- You need of Cake.
- It's 1 (4 oz) of Package baker's German sweet chocolate.
- It's 1/2 cup of boiling water.
- Prepare 1 cup of butter.
- You need 2 cups of sugar.
- You need 4 of eggs, separated.
- It's 1 tsp of vanilla.
- You need 2 cups of all-purpose flour.
- It's 1 tsp of baking soda.
- You need 1/2 tsp of salt.
- You need 1 cup of buttermilk.
- It's of Frosting.
- You need 1 1/2 cups of evaporated milk.
- Prepare 1 1/2 cups of sugar.
- You need 4 of slightly beaten egg yolks.
- Prepare 3/4 cup of butter.
- Prepare 1 1/2 tsp of vanilla.
- Prepare 2 cups of shredded coconut.
- Prepare 1 1/2 cups of chopped pecans.
HOW TO MAKE GERMAN CHOCOLATE CAKE. Start by creating the two layers of moist chocolate cake! Upon researching for hours for a German Chocolate cake recipe worth the time to make and choosing this one, I bought the "Bakers" German sweet chocolate bar for use in this cake. After opening the box of chocolate, there are recipes in there for frosting, cake and a few others using this chocolate.
German Chocolate Cake instructions
- Melt chocolate with water, you can do this by combining ingredients and microwaving them in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 30-second intervals stirring in-between..
- Cream butter and sugar. Next beat in egg yolks..
- Stir in chocolate and vanilla. In a separate bowl mix in flour baking soda and salt..
- Beat in flour mixture, alternating with the buttermilk..
- In a large bowl, beat egg white until stiff peaks form, fold into batter..
- Pour batter into a greased/nonstick 9x13 pan. Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Oven temp: 350 degrees..
- While the cake is cooking in the oven, combine evaporated milk, sugar, slightly beaten egg yolks, butter or margarine, and vanilla in a saucepan. It should take about 20 minutes. Stir constantly. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened. Remove from heat..
- Stir in shredded coconut and chopped pecans. Cool until thick enough to spread. Makes 4-1/4 cups..
- Once everything is cool, frost cake and enjoy!.
The name German chocolate cake is a little deceiving as it is not actually a German dessert and traditionally the cake is a lighter colored cake with a mild chocolate taste and the entire cake is usually covered in coconut pecan frosting. I am so excited to share this cake with you today. It's been a long time coming! I've got a German Chocolate Cheesecake and German Chocolate Cookie Stacks, but no actual cake. I actually first made this cake a couple years ago, but wasn't completely happy with it so it got pushed aside until now.