Baklava. Baklava is a sweet dessert made of layers of phyllo filled with chopped walnuts and pistachios, soaked with honey syrup. Baklava or baklawa is a rich, sweet pastry featured in many cuisines of the former Ottoman countries. It is made of layers of phyllo dough filled with chopped nuts, such as walnuts, almonds, or pistachios, and sweetened with syrup or honey.
I am a huge fan of baklava and this is the BEST baklava recipe I have ever tried. Baklava is a Mediterranean dessert with layers of phyllo dough, nuts and honey. I've also included two authentic baklava recipes for you to try: a fancy and more involved recipe as well as a simple. You can cook Baklava using 6 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Baklava
- It's 1 lb of unsalted butter.
- You need 1 lb of walnut meat.
- It's 2 Tbsp of cinnamon.
- You need 2 cups of sugar.
- It's 1 cup of honey.
- You need 1 pack of filo strudel dough.
This heavenly Baklava combines honey-soaked layers of flaky phyllo pastry with spiced walnuts. It's a great make-ahead dessert perfect for the holidays or special occasions. Not to be confused with balaclava or Balaklava. The iconic Baklava is astonishingly straight forward to make!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter on low heat. Chop the walnuts in a food processor..
- Take a large pan (12x8) and brush it with the melted butter. Place the layer of filo in the pan and butter it with a pastry brush. Repeat the process for the 11 layers of filo (half the filo dough)..
- Mix 1 cup sugar, cinnamon, and chipped walnut meat. Spread the mixture on top of the layers of filo dough..
- Place another 11 layers of filo on top of the mixture, buttering each layer as done in a previous step..
- Cut the sheets into desired size and shape..
- Bake the cut sheet at 350 for 25 minutes..
- Add 1 cup water to 1 cup sugar and 1 cup honey in a sauce pan. Cook the mixture for 15 minutes on medium heat..
- Spread the syrup on the baked baklava..
The iconic Baklava is my all time favourite pastry that I can't get enough of. You'll love how homemade Baklava is not overly sweet and. Baklava is a delicious phyllo pastry popular in Middle Eastern countries. In baklava, layers of crisp phyllo dough alternate with a sugary spiced nut mixture, and the whole thing is then soaked in fragrant. Baklava is a layered pastry with nuts and honey syrup popular in Greece, Turkey and Baklava is a dessert as old as time, to use the phrase loosely.